山村訓長但知覓

The Sanchon Hunjang
(usually clicking on the photos yields an enlarged version)

8/22/2005

 

It's like a finely crocheted afghan

I admit that my neighborhood is not the nicest in Seoul. Nope, I don't live in 살기 좋은 영등포. And the fixed-line phone service here has always been pretty weak. I frequently can overhear other people's calls in the middle of my calls and occasionally even have words with the 아줌마 on the other line who has somehow gotten merged into my line.

I don't believe nicer neighborhoods suffer from this problem as much. At any rate, when I saw the rat's nest that is my and my neighbors' phone connection, I suddenly understood how this line crossing could happen.



There doesn't seem to have been much care invested in that wiring job.

No wonder everyone loves cell phones around here. That way the people who aren't on the call can only overhear one side of the conversation.

Comments:
You know what amazes me more than the reliability of a telephone system that is wired that way is the reliability of the electricity system, which probably ain't much better. I would expect the electricity to go out constantly, but it doesn't. I can tell some of the wiring is warped when all the outdoor lights in our whole aparment building blink everytime the elevator starts or stops. Kind of like the shower cooling down when you flush the toilet back in the states I guess.
 
the term held together with chewing gum and bailing wire brings new meaning. As for being able to hear and be heard by parties uninvited to the conversation, I see a unique opportunity to screw around presented here. Imagine the fun you might have letting them hear key phrases of a conversation that you normally wouldn't want people to hear-as long as it is all make up for a laugh. I remember a few years ago there was a kid that went to the park on a hot summer day and touched one of the metal light poles in the park-you guessed it-he got the stuffing shocked out of him. His appearance on the news basicaly was to say I didn't like that experience and dont feel like going back to the park. For me, I would be knocking down someones door to get it fixed now and threatening people. Then a few minutes later kick myself for not exploiting this apparent source of free electricity to run my AC off of durring the hot summer.
 
댓글 쓰기

<< Home

Archives

7월 2005   8월 2005   9월 2005   10월 2005   11월 2005   12월 2005   1월 2006   2월 2006   3월 2006   7월 2006   8월 2006   10월 2006   4월 2007   5월 2007   6월 2007   7월 2007   8월 2007   9월 2007   10월 2007   11월 2007   12월 2007   1월 2008   5월 2008   8월 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?