山村訓長但知覓

The Sanchon Hunjang
(usually clicking on the photos yields an enlarged version)

3/06/2006

 

They're making a comeback

On the subway there was this intriguing advertisement for one of those tonics that is supposed to help you not become as intoxicated by all of the alcohol you are bound to ingest at a typical 회식. A "morning after" tonic of a different ilk, if you will.



The thing that caught my eye about this advertisement is that it used 4 사자성어 (actually 2 사자 성어, one famous saying and one quote from a poem if you want to get picky), which had each been changed a bit, in its marketing. I'm not sure how effective this approach is, but it's always guaranteed to catch the eye of the Sanchon Hunjang.



Not especially erudite changes, but given the fact that they are trying to appeal to Everyman, the whole thing strikes me as a bit high-brow. After years of all of the kids saying "I hate 한문 class most of all," maybe 한자 are becoming fashionable again. Maybe it's time to take leave of this 속세 and start my own 서원!

Comments:
I still remember fondly the 米소주 (or 米XOZU if you prefer) campaign from a few years ago that had a little bird flying over a field of ripening rice (what else?) with the characters 米 美 味 emanating from its beak (if I remember correctly). A simple but clever pun which also managed to incorporate some onomatapoeia. I think it won an award. Although it didn't do much for the brand. which only lasted a couple of years, probably because it was stomped on by the delicious 山.
 
I remember seeing that. I was always intriqued by, but never quite got, the "xozu" romanization thing. Any idea where xo = /so/ would come from?
 
It sort of looks like a bastardisation of pinyin to me. I've never seen x=s in any other context. I have seen the z used for ㅈ quite commonly in the spelling of people's names (an area where creative romanisation can throw up all sorts of oddities). Basically though, I think the branding people were betting on the visual impact and exotic look of those four letters.
 
댓글 쓰기

<< Home

Archives

7월 2005   8월 2005   9월 2005   10월 2005   11월 2005   12월 2005   1월 2006   2월 2006   3월 2006   7월 2006   8월 2006   10월 2006   4월 2007   5월 2007   6월 2007   7월 2007   8월 2007   9월 2007   10월 2007   11월 2007   12월 2007   1월 2008   5월 2008   8월 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?